Saturday, October 19, 2013

I'm here! (but not really)

I finally arrived in India but I've only made it to Mumbai (formally known as Bombay). I'm spending the night and then catching a flight to my final destination which is Goa. India is a trip (pun intended) but I'm getting ahead of myself. Before landing here, I spent 12 hours in Hong Kong.

I've been to Hong Kong 4 or 5 times previously so I was fine with a long layover. I knew that it was easy to get into town and they have great Chinese food there (or 'food' as the locals call it) and lots of stores to kick around in along with some great museums. This time, however, I choose a different route. This time, I decided to go to Disneyland Hong Kong to pass the time.

It opened at 10:30 and since I arrived at 5:45 am I had some time to kill. I first stopped into the Cathay Pacific business lounge where I had the most insanely good shower ever.
You've probably seen the showers that just rain down on you. Well, this was like that except that it was built into the ceiling and it was huge!
Vast amounts of water rained down on me and after a 14 hour flight it felt great. The only problem is trying see through the wall of water coming down. For the most part I felt blind. Not to mention the fact that being in a full body stream of water makes it impossible to use soap. It's washed away before you can really wash so I found myself turning the water off just to use the soap.

I think I pushed the time limits on the shower use as the cleaning lady gave me that look of, 'are you kidding me?' when I left the shower area but trust me, she was better off for me having done it. Nobody deserved to be around me before that shower.

It was still early so I headed to the breakfast area where I pretty much ate my weight in dim sum. What a great way to start the day. But even after these events, I still had four hours to kill till the magic kingdom opened. What to do, what to do.

So I grabbed a train and went into Kowloon to walk around and just get a feel for the place again.
It's funny how quickly you can get your bearings in a city you've been to before. I still remembered the major streets like Nathan, Jordan and Austin and made my way around. A few observations about Kowloon:


  • Why is there always water dripping down into the street from some unknown source above? No matter which street you find yourself on, there is water dripping like a leaky faucet and you find yourself jumping out of the way as if it were acid about to hit you.
    • Side note to the first observation: I watched World War Z on the way to Hong Kong and from it I learned that should any of that devil water get in my mouth, I would need to count to 12 to see if I would 'turn' (A.K.A. turn into a zombie). Apparently, if I felt that special tingling that indicates the turn is coming, I should blow my brains out to prevent myself from being a burden on mankind. So no worries world, I know the drill now and I'm ready to take myself out if needed (not really, you'd better run cuz I'm too scared to kill myself so I'll probably eat you)
  • Fact: all known odors originate in Kowloon. I don't care what the odor is, it's made in China. Isn't everything though? I wonder what their goods say on the bottom of them. Instead of that sticker that says, "Made in China" does it just read, "Made here."
  • The Chinese must have the best feet in the world. You'll never see more foot massage places per capita than you'll see in Hong Kong. Seriously, are they really THAT into getting their feet rubbed? Never done it myself so maybe I shouldn't bag on it until I try it. 

Ok, now onto Hong Kong Disneyland. First, there was the train.

This gets you excited that you're on your way. It's totally Disney inside and out.


Walking in you start to get that familiar Disney vibe. That is, until you get to the castle.

You've heard on things being on steroids? That's a common American phrase that means that something is larger than normal. In this case, the castle is on hydrocortisone creme (which means that it's been shrunk). You'd be able to see it better if it weren't for the demon that lives in the same spot where Walt Disney's statue resides in Disneyland. Kind of a strange substitute for Walt don't you think?

If you're a Disney fan it's pretty cool. They have three lands that don't exist in other places. The rides in them are very similar to rides you'll find at other parks but in the end, they are unique and only found here. My favorite is the Mystic Mansion.

It's a cross between the Haunted Mansion and Indiana Jones but with a fun, playfulness. The first time I rode it I wasn't that impressed as I was comparing it to the Haunted Mansion but then I rode it a couple more times (yes kids, there were NO lines) and I began to appreciate the nature of the special effects that were used. Very good indeed. The other thing I really liked was that they set up an old fashioned haunted house for Halloween.

The kind where you walk through and things jump out at you. Like all things Disney, the theatrical production was great! Each section was so well done. Aside from the initial shock of someone jumping out from time to time, it wasn't too scary though. Maybe it was because they were yelling at me in Chinese so their threats fell upon deaf ears. I just gave them all the 'I'm a dumb tourist' look and just kept walking while hoards of Chinese women clung to each other screaming (again in Chinese) and acting like that death water from the unknown source in Kowloon were about to be poured into their mouths.

Here's the entrance to Toy Story land:

Pshyco baby from Toy Story:

Me having the time O' my life in 'It's a Small World'. I wanted to prove to myself that this ride is annoying in any context. So far, my theory has proven to be true. 


My day finally came to a close and I made my way back to the airport, or home as I like to call it. Yes, just being dramatic as I feel like I've been on the road for years but it's only been 35 hours. Anywho, moving on. 

We arrived in Mumbai on time and the immigration experience wasn't bad at all. The airport is older but not bad in comparison to some other places I've been. Then, I walked outside. The air is heavy and hangs on you like a warm blanket. Even at 9:30 at night I could feel the sweat instantly start to bead upon my neck. 

Walking out of the airport you get a glimpse of what it must be like to be a rock start. Outside are dozens and dozens of people holding signs behind a railing all trying to get a look at you. That, combined with bright lights pointed towards the exit doors, you feel special. Let's face it, in India I am kind of special. Not special like I'm good. Special in that I'm different. I seem to stand about a head taller than anyone I've encountered so far and I think my skin tone has set new records for the color white.

Pulling into the hotel was another experience altogether. It is surrounded by high gates and at the entrance there are guards that are sweeping the car for bombs with those big mirrors on sticks. They all smile and give you that look like this is just another day but to me, it's a reality check that I'm not in California anymore. 

No comments:

Post a Comment